Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pre-eclampsia:-(

I heard over the weekend about a sweet girl that is 19 years old and pregnant with her first sweet baby girl. She was diagnosed this weekend with pre-eclampsia and is 29wks pregnant. As of today she is still pregnant, and her blood pressures are a bit better than they had been. In speaking with several people that know her or are family members, I am again so annoyed that everyone is so clueless about this horrible disease. I just don't understand! People DIE from this and they die often! The risks are great, and so many times people have absolutely no idea what the warning signs are, or the risks involved. Please lift Kayley and her sweet baby girl in your prayers.
Another friend had her daughter the friday before Christmas. She had Pre-eclampsia with her second pregnancy AFTER she delivered (a week after)!!! and ended up in the ICU after she had the baby and was separated from the baby for several days. Her third pregnancy, she was delivered a week early becuase her pressures were creeping up. She delivered on friday and on monday her blood pressures started getting HIGHER. The covering doctor was notified and reminded of her history. And he did NOTHING!!! HEr pressures were 200s over 100s by the night time and again the the covering MD did NOTHING!!! My friend thankfully paged her own doctor at home at 1am letting her know what was going on. More blood pressure meds were ordered, and then she ended up being admitted to the ICU again!
I just don't get it! I don't understand why such a horrifying disease is so unimportant and not treated pro-actively? Why? Why?
I am so thankful that my doctor is pro-active. I am thankful that she followed me so closely with Sophia and kept both of us safe. I am thankful that she is referring me to a high risk OB this year. NOT that I am pregnant!!! I am not but I want to know if there is anything that I can do to prevent this from happening again.
Totally different post than anything lately, but hearing people struggle with this brings back so many unpleasant memories, but also beautiful memories of my very much alive children, and the heartbreak of knowing that other peoples children have not survived:-( Know that I am praying for you tonight!

No comments: